03/31/10 - River Banks Zoo
The boys and I drove about 3.5 hours to the River Banks Zoo in Columbia, SC yesterday. This was our first visit but definitely won't be our last!
Highlights of the trip:
1. The Simangs middle left were putting on quite a musical and acrobatic show when we got to their habitat. The pouch under their throat lets them create a musical sound. Wow! A video of them flying through the air and 'singing':
2. The lions were trying to make babies:-)
3. The aquarium at this zoo is so nice it rivals the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher. I was impressed.
4. Tulips, tulips and more tulips. Did I say tulips?!?
5. The boys were thrilled to go on a pony ride.
6. The other favorite exhibit was the bird/nectar station. WOW! You buy a cup of nectar and if you hold it in your hands the birds will come and land on you and feed. We ended up buying 3 cups and both boys doing it twice so mom could get her fill of pictures.
We ran out of time to go to the adjacent botanical gardens...ugh. I'm sure it was great. Next time!!!
It's a little too far to drive for just a day trip, so we're spending the night just back over the NC state line in Monroe at my dad's house. About 300 miles total yesterday. The DVD player overhead in the minivan is a blessing.
Thanks for all your comments yesterday on my 2nd tulip shot:-) I'm sorry I was mostly mia yesterday. Can't comment and drive at the same time:-) Dad needs a wireless router...